Hemingway Daiquiri: A Story on Three Continents

Intro This is the story of me falling in love with Ernest Hemingway. The facts here have been pulled from diaries and personal essays over the years, which means it might not be very interesting, but it’s true. We’re going to start about six years ago. Of course, this isn’t some complete retelling of the … Continue reading Hemingway Daiquiri: A Story on Three Continents

Advertisements

Book Review: “Beatrice and Benedick” by Marina Fiorato

There is perhaps no such thing as a perfect book, but I will attest that perfectly-written dialogue exists and Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing is an example of such. I've seen enough adaptations to have memorized sections and am liable to use lines in regular conversation or say it with the characters if we are watching … Continue reading Book Review: “Beatrice and Benedick” by Marina Fiorato

(Don’t) Settle for Me: Comparing the Love Triangles of 19th Century Classics with The CW’s Musical Comedy “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”

Shipping Wars Today we’re talking about everyone’s favorite trope to hate on: the love triangle. Love triangles in many modern stories have a bad reputation for being underdeveloped, prolonged for drama’s sake, or pulled from thin air to bring more attention to the series. The "shipping wars” that are generated within television shows and trilogies … Continue reading (Don’t) Settle for Me: Comparing the Love Triangles of 19th Century Classics with The CW’s Musical Comedy “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend”

The Story of History: Finding Meaning and Hope in a Story with No Beginning, Middle, or End

It is a fact that most people who have known me pre- and post-college think I was an English major. It's understandable. My Instagram is 80% books (the other 20% is evenly split between architecture and my niece Cora). I also may have been pompous about books at some points (I'm sorry that I get … Continue reading The Story of History: Finding Meaning and Hope in a Story with No Beginning, Middle, or End

Book Review: “The Givenness of Things” by Marilynne Robinson

Though I have loved Marilynne Robinson’s award-winning fiction over the years, I hope she is remembered for her theological and philosophical writings. I binge-read all her books several years ago, so I was excited to try her latest collection of essays. The Givenness of Things is billed as a collection of essays, but there is … Continue reading Book Review: “The Givenness of Things” by Marilynne Robinson